The thoughts below are not mine - I wish they were. BUT, they are what started me on the weight loss journey I started in January of 2009. They have served me well in the past 15 months, and will continue to serve me well.
Through the lens of failure I can more clearly focus on my successes.When, as human beings, we are attempting to achieve something new, failure is the greatest teacher. You rip out rows knitting, cut bad boards woodworking, develop undrinkable pints brewing, strike half your sentences writing. Our collective process is to try and fall, and get back on our knees, then our feet, and fall again. Continue cycle.
Through looking at my failures -- not dwelling on them, but acknowledging and learning -- I see the muscles I need to flex more, where to polish, and where to practice. I see, of course, humiliation and embarrassment, but like F. Scott Fitzgerald who filled his walls with rejection slips for The Great Gatsby, I keep working at it. Fueled by my desire to succeed, directed by my desire to do better than I've done before.
At heart, this is what failure brings. Assurance that when you achieved your goals, you do so with a clear head that understands the achievement. And that makes the sweater, or the sideboard, or the beer, or the writing all the sweeter, and all the more accomplished.
So, a toast to our failures, our successes, and most of all our attempts to strive for greatness in whatever domain we choose. As Beckett said, "No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Without you, simple word, there would be no successes at all.
Through the lens of failure I can more clearly focus on my successes.When, as human beings, we are attempting to achieve something new, failure is the greatest teacher. You rip out rows knitting, cut bad boards woodworking, develop undrinkable pints brewing, strike half your sentences writing. Our collective process is to try and fall, and get back on our knees, then our feet, and fall again. Continue cycle.
Through looking at my failures -- not dwelling on them, but acknowledging and learning -- I see the muscles I need to flex more, where to polish, and where to practice. I see, of course, humiliation and embarrassment, but like F. Scott Fitzgerald who filled his walls with rejection slips for The Great Gatsby, I keep working at it. Fueled by my desire to succeed, directed by my desire to do better than I've done before.
At heart, this is what failure brings. Assurance that when you achieved your goals, you do so with a clear head that understands the achievement. And that makes the sweater, or the sideboard, or the beer, or the writing all the sweeter, and all the more accomplished.
So, a toast to our failures, our successes, and most of all our attempts to strive for greatness in whatever domain we choose. As Beckett said, "No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Without you, simple word, there would be no successes at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment