Saturday, April 17, 2010

Love Letter #1

I have received a total of two love letters in my life - and neither of them have been "romantic".

The first was from my dad - almost 35 years ago. The time was awful... I was in nursing school (a dream for all my life) getting an A in nursing and failing a 5-credit anatomy and 5-credit chemistry. I had called home, making all sorts of excuses for what was going on. A few days later, I received this very short, and to the point letter from my dad:

Dear Mouse,
Wishes
Won't

Win,
Working
Will!
Keep at it!
Love, Dad

I would love to say, that I did "keep at it" but I didn't. I failed miserably and quit school. It ended up IN THE LONG RUN the best for me, but at the time, and for years after, I felt like such a failure.

But, the point of this, is that this was the first love letter I ever received. My dad, a man of many words but at that time of our lives not much for words of love and affirmation, took the time to get out his stationery, write this letter and send it to me.

I have kept it all these years - and pull it out at different times when I need encouragement. I'm going through one of those times in my life right now and the words still ring true...

Wishes won't Win - working Will!

1 comment:

  1. Helen,

    You are such a gift to humanity. Good heavens you are a talented woman. Could this post be "your why" in disguise? My e-mail is tvh1188@gmail.com, if you have private matters you can contact me anytime. I will respond to the email you send the message from. If it is not too personal, please leave it on the blog as others can learn from you as well.

    ReplyDelete