Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My area of refuge

Gretchen Rubin - author and amazing blogger has a post about creating areas of refuge. Her website is http://www.happiness-project.com/


I have been SO influenced by her thoughts the past few weeks/months. Anyway, the article spoke very deeply to me. As I continue to explore the areas of pain from my childhood, I realize just how badly I need an area of refuge that is NOT food to run to when I'm hurting. I wish that I could say that it is my HP - but that is not the case for right now - but I'm definitely working on that part as well. I still go back to my vision of the "perfect" place to live someday…


  • Little cottage that has a stone fireplace

  • It is in the woods - with mountains back behind; river flowing by and ocean in front

  • There is a fabulous garden - (now in my fantasy, I like to garden LOL)

  • It has a wrap-around porch with comfy rockers

  • Beautiful hanging baskets of fuchsia, geraniums, etc.

  • There are big and little wind chimes (for the upper and lower range)

  • The windows ALL have padded window seats - so if it's raining, I can sit, read, lookout and dream. If it's sunny, I can pretend that I'm a cat

  • There is a big, comfy couch and armchair in the living room

  • There is also a desk and work area in the living room - with screens that I can pull across and hide the mess

  • There are built-in bookcases on either side of the fireplace (gas one, that is instant light) - and the fireplace has a wood mantle over it

  • The walls are painted with warm colors - reds, yellows (????) whatever color, they enhance the photography and art on the walls

  • Wood floors with GOOD oriental area rugs - muted colors, not the garish ones that are new

  • There is a fantastic music system - that has speakers throughout the whole cottage

  • The kitchen has a little nook - and the benches are hinged with storage areas underneath

  • The kitchen has all the great amenities - like an instant hot water faucet. The stove is in the center of the kitchen, so you can talk and cook with people sitting around the center

  • In my bedroom there is a big, comfy bed. A wing-backed chair and matching ottoman

  • There are windows in three of the four walls for natural light, and great reading light as well. Built in closets and dressers.

  • It also has a skylight over the bed - so I can watch the stars and moon at night. There is probably a gas fireplace in there as well :-)

  • Bathroom has every little amenity that you can think of - big soaking tub - with windows to look out into the woods; shower; lots of natural light from skylights; and - for the ultimate in hedonistic comfort - a towel warmer :-)

  • Guest room - with its own bathroom, sitting area etc. It would be as perfect as the main house. The guest "suite" would have its own entrance from the outside - as well as from the main house.

Anyway, that is my little place of refuge - I now need to go back to my real life :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment