Friday, March 26, 2010

The "Trouble" with knowledge

I'm busy being certified as an expert in "Sustainable Printing" which in itself, is a rather boring certification. However, there was a quote in the text book that really struck a chord in me...

"The trouble with knowledge is that it is not just power, it's responsibility. Once you know something, to behave in a way that suggests you don't is clearly dishonest and irresponsible."

Yikes! In the context of sustainable forestry -it is a powerful statement, but in the context of my life - it is overwhelming!
  • I know what I need to do to be healthy
  • I know what to eat to fuel my body in the most efficient way
  • I know that when I make "poor" food choices, that my body hurts and it is detrimental to my weight loss goals
  • I know that I need to exercise consistently
  • I know that I need to be involved in a consistent time of study, reflection and prayer

If I agree with the statement above - and I do - then I'm acting irresponsibly and am dishonest. that is a verrrrrrrry uncomfortable place to be.

Now the question is, how do I continue to live with myself? Why don't I love myself enough to be honest and responsible?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. This is exactly what happens to me after inputting so much positive information into my mind. I have the knowledge, so what do I do with it now? Having a huge why that will propel us past the weaker moments in life. My strong "why" assists me in keeping an eye on the goal and continuing to utilize the knowledge I obtain. This is a great little blog you have started. :)

    ReplyDelete